News:

Welcome to Uru Karaoke!!  To submit a Karaoke Card click "Karaoke Cards" below!!  You must be logged in!!

Main Menu

Karaoke party roles

Started by DaytonaKit, April 05, 2009, 08:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaytonaKit

Let me know what you think.

Karaoke DJ
1. Set the time and duration of the party and communicate this to the host.  They should also make sure this information is on the website calendar, either directly or through their host.
2. Communicate needs to the host, such as prim allotment, server info, and permissions needed.
3. Organize the karaoke tunes provided by the karaoke card system.
4. Provide house music before and after the party as well as between karaoke rotations.
5. Introduce the tunes and keep the party going by talking to the audience between songs.

Karaoke Host
1. Set up the land before the party by freeing up prims for the DJ, plugging server information into the land, and making arrangements with the estate owner/manager to accommodate 40+ people.
2. Reduce lag by minimizing scripted items and particle emitters.  (These can always be replaced after the party.)
3. Provide party decorations and dance balls for guests.
4. Serve the DJ as needed.  Hosts are "on call" during a party.
5. Provide security for the karaoke party.  Hosts should know how to not only eject a griefer but also to ban a griefer either directly or by providing a ban request to their estate manager.  If necessary, they should also be able to assign such privileges to Karaoke Greeters who can assist them in this manner.

Karaoke greeter
1. Help the host with setting up the dance balls and anything else that may need assistance.
2. Assist the guests with getting the tunes, reducing lag, and other needs.
3. Encourage party animals to tip the DJ and host.
4. Assist the host with security as needed.
"I didn't belong as a kid, and that always bothered me.  If only I'd known that one day my 'differentness' would be an asset, then my early life would have been much easier."
                                             - Bette Midler

Malia

OK, I'll start the questions.  (You knew I would be the first in here, didn't you?)

1) Who is responsible for making sure there is a DJ booth, stage and microphones for singers?  And do we need them? 
I personally really enjoy them, but we didn't have them in the Cavern and it was also fine.

2) Maybe the list could be a bit more specific in defining "decorations".  Seating, dance area, danceballs, stage, DJ booth, microphones, etc. are more on the necessary side, whereas things like balloons, banners, and themed items can be fun but are not necessary.

3) Perhaps change "greeter" to be an optional position; these tasks are usually handled by the host/ess, so this position is really only needed if the host/ess wants to delegate the tasks. 
With a community as friendly and well behaved as ours, being a host/ess is really not as difficult as it would be in a club full of strangers.

4) How long is the DJ expected to provide house music before and after the party?  That could easily make a 2-3 hour time commitment into a 4-5 hour time commitment. 
Is it really necessary or could a radio stream be used by the host/ess as an alternative? 
As a DJ I most often start the house music early and stay until the dancers all disappear, but there are other times when I do have other commitments and need to leave ASAP after the party, so I would hope that the host/ess can shift the music streaming URL to a radio station.
♪ Malia4uru on Singsnap and Multiply

Sean

Quote from: Malia on April 05, 2009, 09:57:00 PM
OK, I'll start the questions.  (You knew I would be the first in here, didn't you?)
Yep, but thats a good thing! ;)

1) Who is responsible for making sure there is a DJ booth, stage and microphones for singers?  And do we need them? 
I personally really enjoy them, but we didn't have them in the Cavern and it was also fine.

I'd say whoever has them.  If the host has them then the host, if the DJ does then the DJ, and if neither and they are wan't then someone else does.  Do we need them? No we don't, but like you I also personally enjoy having them.

2) Maybe the list could be a bit more specific in defining "decorations".  Seating, dance area, danceballs, stage, DJ booth, microphones, etc. are more on the necessary side, whereas things like balloons, banners, and themed items can be fun but are not necessary.

3) Perhaps change "greeter" to be an optional position; these tasks are usually handled by the host/ess, so this position is really only needed if the host/ess wants to delegate the tasks. 
With a community as friendly and well behaved as ours, being a host/ess is really not as difficult as it would be in a club full of strangers.

I completely agreee on both point.  From what I've seen, both at karaoke and other events in SL, the host and greeter are usually the same person.

4) How long is the DJ expected to provide house music before and after the party?  That could easily make a 2-3 hour time commitment into a 4-5 hour time commitment. 
Is it really necessary or could a radio stream be used by the host/ess as an alternative? 
As a DJ I most often start the house music early and stay until the dancers all disappear, but there are other times when I do have other commitments and need to leave ASAP after the party, so I would hope that the host/ess can shift the music streaming URL to a radio station.

I'd say how long depends on the DJ's availability and when they want to start and stop playing.  I also like starting early and going til everyone leaves.  A radio stream could definately be used if the DJ can't start early or stay past the end of the karaoke part.  In the end I'd say this is something that probably will get decided on an event by event basis.

Malia

OK, then to simplify, how's this:

1) Provision of DJ booth, stage and microphones for singers, if desired, should be coordinated between host and DJ.
4) House music before and after the party should be coordinated between host and DJ.

Therefore both jobs would be noted under both Host and DJ with the caveat that they should coordinate with each other.  Hey, I always wanted to use the word "caveat". :D

Sean

Quote from: Malia on April 06, 2009, 12:20:14 AM
OK, then to simplify, how's this:

1) Provision of DJ booth, stage and microphones for singers, if desired, should be coordinated between host and DJ.
4) House music before and after the party should be coordinated between host and DJ.

Therefore both jobs would be noted under both Host and DJ with the caveat that they should coordinate with each other.  Hey, I always wanted to use the word "caveat". :D

Sounds good to me. :)  I don't think I've ever used that word LOL.

DaytonaKit

Sounds like everything worked out there.  It's easy enough to make the necessary amendments to the roles.  Here are my thoughts, just cuz I can...

The duration of the party is up to the D'ni-J, to be coordinated with the host.  This really hasn't been much of an issue, and I don't expect it to be, so I'm not worried about it.  But it doesn't hurt to make this "official."

As for DJ booth, that depends on the location, host and DJ.  For example, if the location is at a club that already has a booth, then the problem is solved.  In terms of private lands and other locations which don't use booths on a regular basis, the DJ should probably bring their own.  They're going to use it more than the host anyway.  And as was said before, a DJ booth is not a requirement.  From what I've seen, everybody who wanted a DJ booth has a DJ booth and at the end of the dya,that's what counts. :)  As for other items such as microphones, stages, etc.... it's up to the DJ and host, as Malia pointed out.

We've had some people such as Donahoo, Zedra and Dich who step up to assist with things even when they aren't hosting.  That's why I created the "Greeter" role.  Although some names will probably need to be changed in the group, I thought it fitting to acknowledge their efforts.  They've helped coordinate things the day of, provided dance balls and microphones, and all kinds of stuff.  Why shouldn't they get their own title?
"I didn't belong as a kid, and that always bothered me.  If only I'd known that one day my 'differentness' would be an asset, then my early life would have been much easier."
                                             - Bette Midler

Dichromus Benoir-Miles (aka DJ Dich)

Yep, All sounds good to me. I would just reiterate one thing...As far as the music is concerned the DJ is king. If he or she wants to use a radio stream for a portion of the "before and after" music so be it.
Fellow DJ's - it is not a requirement to hang around until the last gasp at a Karaoke party. If you have other stuff to do just make sure you tell the host your plans then they can sort the land music out before you go.  8)

Sean

Quote from: DaytonaKit on April 06, 2009, 06:12:47 AM
Sounds like everything worked out there.  It's easy enough to make the necessary amendments to the roles.  Here are my thoughts, just cuz I can...

The duration of the party is up to the D'ni-J, to be coordinated with the host.  This really hasn't been much of an issue, and I don't expect it to be, so I'm not worried about it.  But it doesn't hurt to make this "official."

As for DJ booth, that depends on the location, host and DJ.  For example, if the location is at a club that already has a booth, then the problem is solved.  In terms of private lands and other locations which don't use booths on a regular basis, the DJ should probably bring their own.  They're going to use it more than the host anyway.  And as was said before, a DJ booth is not a requirement.  From what I've seen, everybody who wanted a DJ booth has a DJ booth and at the end of the dya,that's what counts. :)  As for other items such as microphones, stages, etc.... it's up to the DJ and host, as Malia pointed out.

We've had some people such as Donahoo, Zedra and Dich who step up to assist with things even when they aren't hosting.  That's why I created the "Greeter" role.  Although some names will probably need to be changed in the group, I thought it fitting to acknowledge their efforts.  They've helped coordinate things the day of, provided dance balls and microphones, and all kinds of stuff.  Why shouldn't they get their own title?
Sound good to me. :)

Quote from: DaytonaKit on April 06, 2009, 06:12:47 AM
From what I've seen, everybody who wanted a DJ booth has a DJ booth and at the end of the dya,that's what counts. :)
Exactly and in my case I built my own. ;D

Sean

Any volunteers (not it) to rewrite the rolls incorporating the discussion/ideas we have had here????

Malia

Sure, I will give it a shot and post here.

Sean

Quote from: Malia on April 12, 2009, 11:03:55 PM
Sure, I will give it a shot and post here.
Thank You VERY Much!!!! :) HUGS

Malia

I have condensed the above discussion here and will edit this post as needed, if there is further discussion.

Karaoke DJ

• Set the time and duration of the party and communicate this to the Host.  The DJ should also make sure this information is on the website calendar, either directly or through the Host.
  • Communicate needs to the Host, such as prim allotment, music streaming URL, and permissions needed.
  • Provision of DJ booth, stage and microphones for singers, if these are desired, should be coordinated between Host and DJ.
  • Organize the karaoke tunes provided by the karaoke card system.
  • Introduce the tunes and keep the party going by talking to the audience between songs.
  • Provide house music before and after the party, as well as between karaoke rotations (sets).  House music before and after the party should be coordinated between Host and DJ; the DJ can either play music or ask the Host to set the music to a radio stream.

Karaoke Host
Before the party:
Set up the land in SL:

• Free up prims for the DJ's use/allow permission to place prims, as needed.
  • Set up the music streaming URL(s), to be coordinated with the DJ.
  • House music before and after the party should be coordinated between Host and DJ; the DJ can either play music or ask the Host to set the music to a radio stream.
  • Make arrangements with the estate owner/manager to accommodate 40+ people.
  • Make arrangements for security (see below).
  • Reduce lag by removing or minimizing scripted items and particle emitters (these can be replaced after the party).
Set up a party area:

• NEEDED:  Space for dancing, dance ball(s).
  • OPTIONAL: DJ booth, stage, microphones for singers, seating, party/themed décor, etc.
  • Provision of DJ booth, stage and microphones for singers, if desired, should be coordinated between Host and DJ.

During the party:

• Assist the DJ and guests as needed.  Hosts are "on call" during a party, and should be present and reachable by IM at all times.
  • Assist the guests with getting the tunes, reducing lag, and other needs.
  • Encourage party animals to tip the DJ and Host.
  • Provide security for the karaoke party.  Hosts should know how to not only Eject a griefer (troublemaker) from the land, but also to Ban a griefer, either directly or by providing a ban request to their estate manager.  (If a Karaoke Greeter has been designated, the Host should be able to assign these abilities to the Greeter as well.)

Karaoke Greeter (optional, assistant to the Host)

• Help the Host with setting up the dance balls and anything else that may need assistance.
  • Assist the guests with getting the tunes, reducing lag, and other needs.
  • Encourage party animals to tip the DJ and Host.
  • Assist the Host with security as needed.

Sean

Great job Malia!!  Thanks for doing it!! :)