News:

Welcome to Uru Karaoke!!  To submit a Karaoke Card click "Karaoke Cards" below!!  You must be logged in!!

Main Menu

D'ni-J 101

Started by DaytonaKit, March 20, 2009, 09:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If we set up help sessions for D'ni-Jing, would you be interested in attending?

Heek yes!!
If I can fit it into my schedule
I'd like to check it out, but not necessarily commit to DJ'ing at this point
Let me think on it...
Heek no!!

DaytonaKit

I had a thought just now about setting up a training session for future D'ni-Js.  It'd be open to anybody who's interested in seeing how it's done as well as those who'd like to take a shot at it themselves.  It'd have to start from scratch, including things such as how to set up your computer, what to download, how to get a stream, troubleshooting, etc...

This could be something that's done in SL, but I've also thought about doing a powerpoint presentation and re-formatting it using a program called Impatica.  Then we could post it here and anybody who's interesting in learning more can download it.

I'd like to know the following:
1)Is this a good/bad/iffy idea?
2)How can it be better?
3)Does anybody else want to get involved, if so how?
4)D'ni-Js: What tips and tricks have you learned?
5)Anything else that could give direction to this
"I didn't belong as a kid, and that always bothered me.  If only I'd known that one day my 'differentness' would be an asset, then my early life would have been much easier."
                                             - Bette Midler

Dichromus Benoir-Miles (aka DJ Dich)

There is dj'ing and then there is DJ'ING. I shall explain. Anyone can learn how to set up their computer for broadcasting. It isn't rocket science. The average computer user will find the procedures straightforward albeit some may need "walking through" with a friend or colleague who is already familiar with it. Also, once the computer is all set up it's simplicity itself to click on an mp3 file and/or compile a playlist to use.
The difference comes in with another piece of equipment called a microphone. I hear many so-called DJ's spinning tunes and using text chat. Why?
I realise there are certain circumstances where the use of a mic may not be possible. That is not my beef. What irks me are folks who are quite capable of speaking whilst DJ'ing but choose not to. I feel cheated because as I mentioned above ANYONE can click on an mp3.
Are they shy? - Possibly. Is English not their first language? - Again possibly. At least give it a try. Practice with a recorder. All you have to do is pick up the mic as a tune is ending  - something will pop into your head to say - believe me. Even if it's only to say who the last artist was and the title. After a while you will find yourself chatting away happily between numbers and even feel confident to crack a joke or two.
Good Dj's do not just "play mp3's". They entertain. Or should do. There are lots of good DJ's in Second Life including ones in our community. I would dearly like to see (and hear!) a lot more of them.  8)

Sean

Quote from: DaytonaKit on March 20, 2009, 09:04:25 AM
2)How can it be better?
I think its a great idea and would be more than happy to help out any way I can.

DaytonaKit

Quote from: Dichromus Miles (aka DJ Dich) on March 20, 2009, 10:04:36 AM
There is dj'ing and then there is DJ'ING. I shall explain. Anyone can learn how to set up their computer for broadcasting. It isn't rocket science. The average computer user will find the procedures straightforward albeit some may need "walking through" with a friend or colleague who is already familiar with it. Also, once the computer is all set up it's simplicity itself to click on an mp3 file and/or compile a playlist to use.
The difference comes in with another piece of equipment called a microphone. I hear many so-called DJ's spinning tunes and using text chat. Why?
I realise there are certain circumstances where the use of a mic may not be possible. That is not my beef. What irks me are folks who are quite capable of speaking whilst DJ'ing but choose not to. I feel cheated because as I mentioned above ANYONE can click on an mp3.
Are they shy? - Possibly. Is English not their first language? - Again possibly. At least give it a try. Practice with a recorder. All you have to do is pick up the mic as a tune is ending  - something will pop into your head to say - believe me. Even if it's only to say who the last artist was and the title. After a while you will find yourself chatting away happily between numbers and even feel confident to crack a joke or two.
Good Dj's do not just "play mp3's". They entertain. Or should do. There are lots of good DJ's in Second Life including ones in our community. I would dearly like to see (and hear!) a lot more of them.  8)

Perhaps this would be a good topic for D'ni-J 201.  I do agree with you wholeheartedly.  In fact, I was at my old haunt Arabian Nights yesterday and I heard the "DJ" spinning music.  He was actually broadcasting another station, complete with advertisements and news reports.  Last Monday when I DJ'd the event, I received a high amount of tips as well as compliments because I actually talked into the mic.  (I just pretended it was a karaoke party.)  I'm now being asked to DJ again, even though I'm a bit apprehensive about my music selection.  But I know I'm being asked because I actually interacted with the listeners. 

Perhaps this could be something we help coach D'ni-Js on after they get the basics of running a stream.  And let's face it, karaoke is a good training ground for that.  If you can't interact in karaoke, you just ain't gonna make it.
"I didn't belong as a kid, and that always bothered me.  If only I'd known that one day my 'differentness' would be an asset, then my early life would have been much easier."
                                             - Bette Midler

DaytonaKit

Quote from: Sean Riedel on March 20, 2009, 10:33:35 AM
Quote from: DaytonaKit on March 20, 2009, 09:04:25 AM
2)How can it be better?
I think its a great idea and would be more than happy to help out any way I can.

Do you Winamp shoutcast or SAM to do your streaming?  It might be good to have trainings in both.  It also occurred to me that people have different operating systems.  I still use XP, for example, while many others use Vista.  Still others have Mac or Linux.  We'll need to figure out how to do the training such that people understand the concepts regardless of OS.  What are your thoughts on this?
                                             - Bette Midler

AnneB

This whole thread makes me feel about an inch tall. I'm the one "spinning tunes without speaking." My computer is in the same room with the TV and my husband wears two hearing aids. I'm sitting between him and the TV so that pretty much eliminates my talking into a mic. It also prevents me from hosting karaoke.

I hope this feeling of being cheated is not universal in the community; this is the first time I have heard it put that way.

DaytonaKit

We understand your situation completely, Donahoo.  As Dich said, there are people who for various reasons cannot speak into the microphone, and you are one of those.  And perhaps for casual parties, such as the cocktail party and the CCCP, it's not as necessary.  It'd be like inviting people to come over to your house for a get-together and then stopping the conversation at regular intervals to announce the name of each song. 

I think ultimately it depends on what you're wanting to accomplish.  If you just want a casual party with friends, that's one thing.  But I know of people (not necessarily in our URU community) who advertise themselves as DJs and want to be hired and paid to do so, but don't put the effort into it that Dich is talking about.  There's a difference between "can't" and "won't", and the "won't" group is what the D'ni-J 201 course would be for.  :)

I will make a little confessional.  It is a shame that you can't do D'ni-J 201.  You have a neat voice that would be fun to hear at karaoke, and with your music variety I could easily seeing you making a sweet Linden or two as a semi-professional DJ elsewhere in SL.  But your RL needs come first, including those of your husband.  We're just thankful that you can sing for us when you can. :D

So stand tall, girl, you're not small by any means! :)
                                             - Bette Midler

AnneB

Everybody may not know that and think I'm being dumb or lazy. I do know they realize I'm not playing a radio station because I take requests. I don't think the laptop will let me talk and play at the same time, has an integrated sound card and Vista.  :-\

Sean

Quote from: DaytonaKit on March 20, 2009, 10:58:49 AM
In fact, I was at my old haunt Arabian Nights yesterday and I heard the "DJ" spinning music.  He was actually broadcasting another station, complete with advertisements and news reports.
Wow!!! How'd he become a DJ doing that????

Quote from: DaytonaKit on March 20, 2009, 11:01:10 AM
Do you Winamp shoutcast or SAM to do your streaming?  It might be good to have trainings in both.  It also occurred to me that people have different operating systems.  I still use XP, for example, while many others use Vista.  Still others have Mac or Linux.  We'll need to figure out how to do the training such that people understand the concepts regardless of OS.  What are your thoughts on this?
I have used both Winamp and SAM to DJ in the past, but I prefer SAM though I don't have it ATM.  I probably will be buying it soon.  Its much more complex to use than Winamp, but the basics are pretty easy.  I could easily explain to people how to use either.  I would only recomend getting SAM if you are going to DJ a lot as its not cheap.  ATM its either $279 or 5 payments of $59.  I currently DJ using a few year old laptop running XP pro.

DaytonaKit

Quote from: Donahoo on March 20, 2009, 12:28:32 PM
Everybody may not know that and think I'm being dumb or lazy. I do know they realize I'm not playing a radio station because I take requests. I don't think the laptop will let me talk and play at the same time, has an integrated sound card and Vista.  :-\

At this point I say that if nobody is complaining, don't worry about it.  You're not DJ'ing at a club, trying to earn a profit.  You're providing music for a private gathering of friends, and your taking of requests is something that you would do in RL as well as SL.  This is something you're doing for fun, you're working within your means, so no worries.  We're family. :)
                                             - Bette Midler

Sean

I think we have determined that doing this is a good idea, so  I think now we should see how many people are interested in attending something like this.

AnneB

I would definitely attend. My husband does have activities with his buddies sometimes, or I wouldn't be able to sing my songs. He just doesn't go out when I would like him to.  ;D

Dichromus Benoir-Miles (aka DJ Dich)

I voted "Yes" but as a tutor not a student.   ;D

BeachRM

Yup, I am one of those party streamers who does not consistently use voice.
I know it is an issue of personal confidance because i am now set up and have the equipment to send it out wotht he stream - I am learning how to work with it and listen to the braodcast to adjust the sound.
I think as I gain confidance that I can manage the equipment, the cards and also keep tracl of the chat in Sl I will be using voice more often.
Classes would be very useful I think and even some streaming sessions where folks, including me, practice use of voice.
Cwertainly if I can overcome being ashamed of typo errors I cam overcome shyness or fear of misstating stuff with voice- are those vocos, as oopposed to typos? VocoLocos?

DaytonaKit

I think it would be easy enough to hold "D'ni-J" practice sessions now and then for the community.  People interested in learning/practicing could take turns with a stream, playing a few songs and speaking for an imaginary event.  Then others could give feedback and allow them to refine their skills before passing the stream to the next victim, I mean, volunteer. 

(And I apologize for slacking off on this.  Stupid reality got in the way.)
                                             - Bette Midler

Malia

Quote from: BeachRM on April 04, 2009, 04:06:49 PMI think as I gain confidance that I can manage the equipment, the cards and also keep tracl of the chat in Sl I will be using voice more often.

Cwertainly if I can overcome being ashamed of typo errors I cam overcome shyness or fear of misstating stuff with voice- are those vocos, as oopposed to typos? VocoLocos?
Having heard you DJ karaoke this afternoon, I can honestly say you have nothing to fear but fear itself.  You possess a natural charm, and handled the inevitable bumps and snags with plenty of finesse and a sense of humor.  Not to mention that darlin' accent! ;)

That said, I also feel that a little practice amongst friends would be a good opportunity, and maybe help us to have fewer of those darn snags too... or at least not feel so sensitive about it.  My broadcasts seem to always be full of them, and it feels so embarrassing!  I like the idea of a "practice stream".
♪ Malia4uru on Singsnap and Multiply ♫

Sean

Quote from: Malia on April 04, 2009, 09:36:16 PM
That said, I also feel that a little practice amongst friends would be a good opportunity, and maybe help us to have fewer of those darn snags too... or at least not feel so sensitive about it.  My broadcasts seem to always be full of them, and it feels so embarrassing!  I like the idea of a "practice stream".[/color]
After listening to you DJ last week you did a great job recovering from the snags and problems that happened.  You got through them and continued on very smoothly.  You have nothing to be embarrassed about or worry about, you do a great job!!!!  :) ;) ;) :)

Malia

Quote from: Sean Riedel on April 04, 2009, 10:44:24 PM
After listening to you DJ last week you did a great job recovering from the snags and problems that happened.  You got through them and continued on very smoothly.  You have nothing to be embarrassed about or worry about, you do a great job!!!!  :) ;) ;) :)
Awww thanks... sounds like an echo of what I said to Beach.  Just goes to show we are our own worst critics!  A bit of controlled practice might give us a shot of confidence. :)
♪ Malia4uru on Singsnap and Multiply ♫

Sean

Quote from: Malia on April 04, 2009, 11:38:40 PM
Just goes to show we are our own worst critics!
That's only too true.  I am DEFINATELY my worst critic.

DaytonaKit

I can't think of a better community in which to practice than this one.  We are all so incredibly supportive of each other, and no matter what happens, we handle it with love and dignity.  And as we refine our skills with each other, we could possibly branch out into other areas.  For instance, over Spring Break I was hired to DJ two events at Arabian Nights.  Apparently I raised the bar for DJs in that sim, and I owe it all to my karaoke experience. 

Who wants to teach D'ni-J 101?  (I'd step up, but my schedule's a bit of a mess right now.  But if nobody else steps up I'll do it.)
                                             - Bette Midler

Sean

Quote from: DaytonaKit on April 05, 2009, 08:24:11 PM
Who wants to teach D'ni-J 101?  (I'd step up, but my schedule's a bit of a mess right now.  But if nobody else steps up I'll do it.)
I can do this.  I'm thinking that 101 should cover the technical end on setting up a stream and djing using Winamp and if there is interest Sam Broadcaster as well.  I would just need to know who is interested in attending and when people are available.  I can do this at a couple times if needed to cover the most number of people.

DaytonaKit

Let's first begin with finding out what days of the week would work best, then narrow it down to time slots.  If we could provide at least 2 options, that will probably be sufficient for accommodating as many people as possible. 

As for winamp vs. sam, my only suggestion is to start with the "broadcast for dummies" version then go from there.
                                             - Bette Midler

Sean

Quote from: DaytonaKit on April 05, 2009, 08:40:13 PM
Let's first begin with finding out what days of the week would work best, then narrow it down to time slots.  If we could provide at least 2 options, that will probably be sufficient for accommodating as many people as possible. 

As for winamp vs. sam, my only suggestion is to start with the "broadcast for dummies" version then go from there.
That's what I'm thinking mostly due to the fact that Winamp is free vs Sam costing $300 (there is a 14 day free trial available).  I'm available any day of the week for the most part.

Sean

If you are interested in attending D'ni-J 101 and learn the basics of being an online DJ please post here saying you would like to attend as well as your availability.  I *probably* will be teaching this class using voice as it will be easier than typing everything out, but do not feel you will be required to use it as well.  I would just be using it as I find it easier to explain things with voice than with text.  When done with this class you should have the knowledge needed to set up a stream and stream music (including songs off of Sing Snap) using Winamp.  You will also learn the technical side of setting up a mic so you have the ability to do voice overs.

In a future class I will cover how to use Sam Broadcaster which is a much more advanced tool used to DJ online.

AnneB

I'm interested, and Sunday EDT afternoons are better for me.

Sean

If you are interested in attending this class please respond with your availablility by April 13th.  I will be posting when and where on that date.

Sean

Quote from: Sean Riedel on April 08, 2009, 02:59:24 PM
If you are interested in attending this class please respond with your availablility by April 13th.  I will be posting when and where on that date.
Last call for those interested in attending.  I will post when and where tomorrow afternoon not before 1 PM SLT.

Sean

The class will be this comming Sunday, April 19th at 12 PM SLT at the following SLURL.

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Boutique/154/229/26

AnneB

Zedra Benoir

Hi!  I think I'd like to try it too, if it's not too late to sign up?

Thanks!

Zed  =)

DaytonaKit

You sign up by showing up. :)  The more the merrier!!!
                                             - Bette Midler

AnneB

Even though I forgot about the class and didn't go, I have had a lesson from Dichromus in setting up simultaneous voice and music. We had a short test yesterday and I'm going to put it to the full test on Sunday when I am guest DJ for Sunday Soul at Neverriven. I have also connected wireless headphones to the TV so I won't disturb the TV watching while I talk. I'll plan on sharing karaoke hosting duties at the end of next month as well. Then we will go from there.