News:

Welcome to Uru Karaoke!!  To submit a Karaoke Card click "Karaoke Cards" below!!  You must be logged in!!

Main Menu

Scheduling [was Re: Karaoke...March 7th...DJ Beach if available]

Started by Malia, March 05, 2009, 03:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaytonaKit

Quote from: Jandai on March 06, 2009, 06:46:23 PM

I'm going to chime in here. :)

I like the idea of either DJ or Host booking a date on the calendar - that could work.  I am used to being approached myself, but find it difficult to say yes weeks in advance due to my roster.

Having 2 Karaoke's on one day could also help with scheduling conflicts, but could result in lower numbers - depending on whether numbers are an issue or not. (usually only an issue as far as too many...Homesteads and the like).

My only problem with the conflict with my event and Karaoke, was that I did check the calendar when I had to set a time, and there was not a DJ, nor a time set.  I had to set a time up a month in advance as it is part of another group's Horror Fest and my time is within their scheduled events.  I have advertised my event in D'ni Refugees and my own group for weeks, so people had to know I had something on at that time.  I didn't know until after the conflict came to light that I could have put my event onto the Karaoke calendar as well, as I thought it was for Karaoke only.  Next time I will do that.

I don't think numbers will be a problem at all.  Originally karaoke started so small that the same 5 or so people sang everything and it lasted only an hour.  Times have changed and we need to adapt accordingly.  Every once in a while, it'd be fun to have a big karaoke blow-out, such as the anniversary of the day the cavern shut down, perhaps.  But if having 2 karaoke parties would allow more attendance/participation in the long term w/o running into SL openspace/homestead issues, then it's something we need to consider.

When we first started in SL, it was easy to plan around each other because events were few and far between.  But now we've not only grown in numbers, but we've gotten more involved in various ways.  We have excellent means of communication, such as the Refugees groups and the D'ni Voice *cheers DMom and Deann*.  But a calendar where you can see everything put together will help out, and since we have this excellent resource thanks to Borg, then heek, why not exploit it to the max?

The general ideas I'm hearing so far are as follows.  First, let's use the calendar as much as possible.  Second, establish and announce a set time for your event as soon as possible so that others can plan accordingly.  Third, be calm and flexible as we're trying to work out multiple events among multiple people from multiple locations in multiple time zones.

You know, I think SilOhWet, our karaoke founder, would be proud of what we're doing here.  We need to hunt her down.
"I didn't belong as a kid, and that always bothered me.  If only I'd known that one day my 'differentness' would be an asset, then my early life would have been much easier."
                                             - Bette Midler

Musicteachersheff

I agree with the DJ setting the time.  I don't think the time should stick at any one time for too many weeks in a row.  I personally can only make it at the 6 PM SL Time or later because of my kiddie's bedtimes, so anything earlier excludes me on the few weeks I don't already have something else going on with the family,(and totally not saying that anyone should go out of their way to accomodate me specificially) but too many afternoon or early evening times do kind of take the eastern timers out of the picture if they have families. 

the one thing that I will say bugs me a little bit is when Karaoke is ALREADY posted with a DJ and a time and then someone schedules another event at the same time.  Maybe they are karaoke-ers, maybe they are just D'ni community member, but I do think that if Karaoke is already scheduled with a DJ it shouldn't move for someone who sets an event after the fact.  Not meaning any offense here, just stating my feelings.

anyway, everyone involved does a great job and I look forward to a time (hopefully the summer) when my life slows down enough to attend more regularly

Thanks to all who have kept Karaoke going!

MT

Dichromus Benoir-Miles (aka DJ Dich)

Quote from: Musicteachersheff on March 07, 2009, 09:18:37 AM

the one thing that I will say bugs me a little bit is when Karaoke is ALREADY posted with a DJ and a time and then someone schedules another event at the same time. 

Amen to that.  8)

DaytonaKit

I agree that if an event is scheduled, we need to show consideration.  The reason why I asked to make an exception for Jandai's event is because she had planned this for over a month and the time for karaoke was posted only recently.  In light of that, I believe there's room for flexibility.

Quotethe one thing that I will say bugs me a little bit is when Karaoke is ALREADY posted with a DJ and a time and then someone schedules another event at the same time.  Maybe they are karaoke-ers, maybe they are just D'ni community member, but I do think that if Karaoke is already scheduled with a DJ it shouldn't move for someone who sets an event after the fact.  Not meaning any offense here, just stating my feelings.

I couldn't agree more.  In fact, I have my thoughts and feelings about such a situation right now and I'm seriously struggling with the way I want to respond and the right way to respond.  (In other words, I dare not speak lest I say something I'll need to apologize for later.)  It's a matter of courtesy and respect.  In fact, I'm planning on talking to some people privately, then making an administrative decision very soon.  I always try to step back and assist rather than dictate.  But the time to step up is at hand.  I just hope I don't make a village idiot out of myself.
"I didn't belong as a kid, and that always bothered me.  If only I'd known that one day my 'differentness' would be an asset, then my early life would have been much easier."
                                             - Bette Midler

Malia

Quote from: DaytonaKit on March 07, 2009, 10:03:27 AM
Quote from: Musicteachersheff on March 07, 2009, 09:18:37 AMI do think that if Karaoke is already scheduled with a DJ it shouldn't move for someone who sets an event after the fact.
I couldn't agree more.  In fact, I have my thoughts and feelings about such a situation right now and I'm seriously struggling with the way I want to respond and the right way to respond.  (In other words, I dare not speak lest I say something I'll need to apologize for later.)  It's a matter of courtesy and respect.  In fact, I'm planning on talking to some people privately, then making an administrative decision very soon.
It sounds like the majority here are in agreement. (Hello, lurkers, we'd love to hear from you too!)  If people go ahead and schedule conflicting events from this point forward, you can refer them to this thread. :)  They are still welcome to schedule their conflicting event, but no promises that we will bend over backward for them.

Of course, if they grovel sincerely enough and send the DJ lots of yummy cookies (homemade, preferably chocolate)... we might make an exception... ;) 

♪ Malia4uru on Singsnap and Multiply

DaytonaKit

I've gone ahead and began making the communications.  If anybody has any concerns or such, send them my way.
                                             - Bette Midler

Watashi

I Scheduled this Karaoke well over a month ago for 3pm.  We did that b/c we have many friends that live in Europe.   This time change cuts them completely out.   I am the one that set the Karaoke date and knowone said a thing to me.  What is the since of scheduling the event in the calendar, if the are not going to be honor the date and time, or at least contact the scheduler of the event.  I am in SL everyday.  Pls DO NOT change the future times of our Karaoke events.
You have to get out of the airplane, if you are going to FLY!
Watashi ;)

Dichromus Benoir-Miles (aka DJ Dich)

I'm truly sorry the Karaoke was rescheduled in this instance Wat. I do not think it will happen again. In future, as far as I'm concerned, any event posted, (with times), on the calender on this site is a done deal. Period. Anyone wanting to organise another event will have to work around what is already on this calender. This can apply to ANY event - not just Karaoke. That is what the calender is for and I hope more folks start to utilise it.  8)

Sean

Quote from: Watashi on March 07, 2009, 01:24:07 PM
I Scheduled this Karaoke well over a month ago for 3pm.  We did that b/c we have many friends that live in Europe.   This time change cuts them completely out.   I am the one that set the Karaoke date and knowone said a thing to me.  What is the since of scheduling the event in the calendar, if the are not going to be honor the date and time, or at least contact the scheduler of the event.  I am in SL everyday.  Pls DO NOT change the future times of our Karaoke events.
The future times can and may be changed if there is no DJ available for that time.  Can't have karaoke without a DJ LOL.

DaytonaKit

It was not my intent to supercede anybody's efforts.  If I wronged anybody, please speak to me privately so we can work things out and I can make apologies where they're due.  

I have put out a PSA in the D'ni Voice inviting people to use the calendar to plan events.  In the future, we will stick by this.  If something is planned but not put on the calendar, let the dice fall where they may.  If it really means anything to someone, I will tell them to talk to the DJ, not to me.

Somebody mentioned having 2 parties for maximum participation.  I think this is something we really need to consider.

We've laid the groundwork, now we just have to maintain it while continuing to build.
                                             - Bette Midler

Jandai

Quote from: Watashi on March 07, 2009, 01:24:07 PM

I checked here as soon as I was asked to provide an event and NO DJ and NO time was listed for the event.  I was in chat with some people in SL at the time and even said to them I was going to be wrong no matter what time I chose - it was always going to happen.  So, I'm not sure why your time of 3pm wasn't showing Watashi, but it most definitely was not there.  Or I would have scheduled mine for 5pm (then I could have attended Karaoke myself).

DaytonaKit

Did you check the calendar alone or did you click on the event to go to the forum post?
                                             - Bette Midler

Jandai

not sure now to be honest.  I know if I had seen a time, I would have scheduled around it as that was the whole reason I looked in the first place.  So if there was a time listed on the forum, then possibly I didn't.

Sean

As of this point the calendar does not support times for events just posting an event on a particular day and recurring/repeating events.  Which is where the linked posts come into play, but since is isn't the "norm" at least from my experience its something easily missed.  It comes down to learning our way around a new system.

Watashi

I must be missing something here...when i just cked Beach was listed as DJ on the 7th..???????
You have to get out of the airplane, if you are going to FLY!
Watashi ;)