News:

Welcome to Uru Karaoke!!  To submit a Karaoke Card click "Karaoke Cards" below!!  You must be logged in!!

Main Menu

Scheduling [was Re: Karaoke...March 7th...DJ Beach if available]

Started by Malia, March 05, 2009, 03:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malia

Quote from: DaytonaKit on March 05, 2009, 05:42:47 AM
I just found out that Jandai Writer has a 2-hr murder mystery event scheduled at 4pm, and several karaoke people are involved in it.  Any ideas for working around this?
Quote from: Dichromus Miles (aka DJ Dich) on March 05, 2009, 07:55:31 AM
Re-schedule Karaoke to 6pm which is it's, (more or less), usual time.  ???  We, (the Karaoke team), are more flexible. We have to be while other events are  timed to conflict with others. The calender here is not just for Karaoke events. Anyone in our Community can use it and it is a very good tool for arranging timings of events. I think the time is rapidly approaching whereby organisers can no longer pick a time and date "out of the air" for their event. There is so much going on in SL now that it needs more careful thought. :)

Sorry, but I feel the need to play devil's advocate on this subject.  (Please, please don't take offense; I may be the ONLY one who sees things this way.  But hey, at least my mom thinks I'm special.)

Kit said "several karaoke people" are involved in another event, and Dich says that karaoke should move to accommodate the other event.  This seems to imply several things:

1) ... that if one is a "karaoke person", then one is obligated to attend karaoke every week, regardless of other interests or commitments.  (Obligation = fun?)

2) ... that another event in the URU community takes precedent over karaoke, which I don't agree with.  Our community is really quite strong and I think we can easily support multiple or overlapping events.  (We did in the Cavern.) 

3) ... that anything other than the 6pm "usual time" is not sanctioned by "the Karaoke team" (whoever that consists of).  Many members of the URU community are excluded at this time due to timezones (6pm SLT is about 2am in Europe), RL family commitments, or other reasons. (Due to life changes I now fall into this group, and would welcome karaoke on other days/times.)

If my opinions are way off in left field, so be it... you can tell me to go jump into the Lake... but I won't drink the water! ;)
♪ Malia4uru on Singsnap and Multiply

Sean

I completely agree with you.  Also, on the 6pm time.  I've now djed a karaoke that started at 4pm, 5pm, and 6pm slt.  I had the best turnout at 4pm and the worst at 6pm, 10-15 fewer people compared to the 4pm time slot.  I do have a crazy thought though, as no matter what time is picked there will always be someone who can't make it and I know there is nothing that can be done about that, but if we recorded karaoke we could then re-broadcast it once our twice for those who couldn't make it live.  Its a very simple process to do this.  Just an idea though.

DaytonaKit

This is not about one event taking precedence over another.  This is about supporting the efforts of others.  The reason why I brought it up is because I don't want people to feel like they have to "choose" if they can help it.  No one is obligated to attend karaoke every weekend.  But should we really make people have to choose one even or another when a compromise can be reached?  If there was no way for the DJ to schedule karaoke other than 4pm, then that would be fine.  We'd all survive and move on.  But if we can work out alternatives, then why not?

As for "sanctioned time", didn't we abolish that last summer and let the D'ni-J schedule the time week by week?  The comment that 6pm is the "usual time" was making a reference to the familiarity of that time since that's when it was scheduled in the past.  Am I mistaken in this?

Yes, conflicts happen, both in RL and SL, but that's just how it happens.  But Jandai has been planning this event for about a month now, and karaoke happens every week.  We can be flexible in this, especially since Jandai has helped us out in the past with DJ'ing.  And if the change in time doesn't work for some people, it'll work for them later.  (And if anybody knows about difficulty in scheduling, it's certainly Jandai.  I can't imagine the headache it gave her to try to put everything together for her event.)

I can still remember when I scheduled karaoke at the same time as the opening of the D'ni Museum of Arts.  I was in the wrong for that.  Deann and Bobo had put considerable work into putting together not only the museum but the premiere as well, and it was an event that was not going to be repeated.  I'd rather not see that mistake happen again if I can help it.  And yes, our community is strong enough to handle multiple events, we've been doing it for some time.  But again, karaoke is weekly and this other event is a one-time deal.  In short, I don't think it's worth the conflict.
"I didn't belong as a kid, and that always bothered me.  If only I'd known that one day my 'differentness' would be an asset, then my early life would have been much easier."
                                             - Bette Midler

DaytonaKit

Quote from: Sean Riedel on March 05, 2009, 04:45:49 PM
I completely agree with you.  Also, on the 6pm time.  I've now djed a karaoke that started at 4pm, 5pm, and 6pm slt.  I had the best turnout at 4pm and the worst at 6pm, 10-15 fewer people compared to the 4pm time slot.  I do have a crazy thought though, as no matter what time is picked there will always be someone who can't make it and I know there is nothing that can be done about that, but if we recorded karaoke we could then re-broadcast it once our twice for those who couldn't make it live.  Its a very simple process to do this.  Just an idea though.

I don't have the software to do this, and I don't trust my computer to try it out.  But if anybody's willing to do so and they can make the parties, then by all means let's give it a go!
"I didn't belong as a kid, and that always bothered me.  If only I'd known that one day my 'differentness' would be an asset, then my early life would have been much easier."
                                             - Bette Midler

Sean

Quote from: DaytonaKit on March 05, 2009, 08:04:15 PM
Quote from: Sean Riedel on March 05, 2009, 04:45:49 PM

I don't have the software to do this, and I don't trust my computer to try it out.  But if anybody's willing to do so and they can make the parties, then by all means let's give it a go!
The software is free (Audacity) and if I remember I will try it out this Saturday.

Sean

Here are my thoughts on scheduling.  None of this is new.  Its been like this for a long time, but I felt it needed to be re-stated.

The start time for karaoke is in the hands of the DJ NOT the host.  When you schedule a date to host karaoke you should not post a time as it is not your decision to make unless of course you are DJing.

Also, if you say a person is going to DJ you must of already confirmed they are available and willing to DJ for that event.  As in when you schedule a date do not say someone is DJing if you havn't even talked to them about doing this.

Things look pretty good through the end of April, but there are a couple scheduled dates after this that have "if available" people listed as DJing and times listed.  Until a DJ is confirmed and time chose by the DJ I would like to edit out that information.

Malia

Kit, please understand that was just *MY PERSONAL* reaction to what was posted, and how it was worded.  (Hence the disclaimer at the beginning of my post!)  In my mind, the second post read as "We have to..." rather than "I think...", which triggered my Rebel Against Authority response.

By no means am I saying that we should not play nice with others!  Exceptions can certainly be made for other events, if it seems reasonable and doesn't put the host or DJ in a tight spot.  I just don't want to see us locked into 6pm every week.  As you know, the late evening time has been my "pet peeve" since we were still in the Cavern... nothing new there.  Dich may have meant the "usual time" in terms of familiarity, but I wanted to get further clarification about the time issue.

Nor do I really want a set of implied "well, that's the way it's always been done" rules or "so-and-so thinks this so I shouldn't say anything" to cut off potential discussion of a subject.  I considered deleting my post instead of submitting it, so as not to stir the waters, but I decided that posting it was the right thing to do. 

As we have just demonstrated, a few words can be interpreted many ways, so it is important to question things that are not clear. 

Sean, your note about the DJ not the host picking the time leaves me with a question, how do we ensure that we have both a host and a DJ available at the same time?  For example, Host X is willing but only from 6-8pm, but DJ Y wants to spin from 4-6pm.  (Maybe in the comments of the calendar entry, whoever is volunteering to host could clarify whether their availability is limited or anytime?)

I have to agree about the "if available" comments, it definitely seems discouraging to other DJ's who might want that date.

Dichromus Benoir-Miles (aka DJ Dich)

Quote from: Malia on March 05, 2009, 11:30:40 PM
  Dich may have meant the "usual time" in terms of familiarity, but I wanted to get further clarification about the time issue.

Yes, I did.  ;D

Quote from: Malia on March 05, 2009, 11:30:40 PM
I have to agree about the "if available" comments, it definitely seems discouraging to other DJ's who might want that date.

All the host has to do is ask the DJ his or her availability for an event and "book" the DJ for it. I don't understand why this is not happening. Dj's are very approachable y'know.  :)

DaytonaKit

I think my response to you was a bit of knee-jerk reaction on my part as well, Malia.  I'm glad you feel comfortable enough to voice your concerns, that's what this is all about.  And it was your idea to use flex-scheduling with the DJs, and even though I had my concerns about it at first, it's proven to be very successful.  As of this post at 6am in the morning my time, I think the best approach for now is to encourage more people to use the calendar.  In the meantime, since everybody is doing a great job of facilitating the karaoke parties themselves, it's perhaps time for me to on paying closer attention to other events going on in our SL/URU community in an effort to catch and mediate future scheduling issues.   

Dich, I agree with you.  We're sliding back into the habit of hosting w/o arranging a DJ, when it's so easy to ask and arrange to begin with.  Now I can see that some people might ask a DJ and the DJ may need to check their schedules and get back with them.  If that's the case, I don't have a problem with hosts going ahead and booking the event tentatively.  But they need a deadline to either verify the DJ or allow someone else to host in order to be fair to everybody.  Perhaps 2-4 weeks before an event is sufficient?  As for Malia's observation regarding host/DJ times, it's the job of the host to be available to the DJ, which means they need to be there.  If something urgent comes up and the host can't make it, they need to have someone with land rights to cover for them.  Otherwise, if the time that the DJ sets won't work for them, then they need to allow someone else to host.

My stance regarding this stems from previous karaoke parties in which someone with land rights was not there to switch the server information and take care of other land issues.  The first time it happened, it was at Siren Bevin and everything worked out fine.  When it happened again at the Museum Park, a major incident occurred.  I would rather not repeat these events, which is why I take the stance that the host must be "present to win."

I think perhaps we need to publish a list of available DJs for karaoke.  Another possibility is to train more people to DJ - setting up their player, etc...  Maybe we can set up and hold "D'ni-J Orientations" and invite the public to attend?

Any thoughts on this?
                                             - Bette Midler

Sean

Quote from: DaytonaKit on March 06, 2009, 06:12:31 AM
As for Malia's observation regarding host/DJ times, it's the job of the host to be available to the DJ, which means they need to be there.  If something urgent comes up and the host can't make it, they need to have someone with land rights to cover for them.  Otherwise, if the time that the DJ sets won't work for them, then they need to allow someone else to host.

My stance regarding this stems from previous karaoke parties in which someone with land rights was not there to switch the server information and take care of other land issues.  The first time it happened, it was at Siren Bevin and everything worked out fine.  When it happened again at the Museum Park, a major incident occurred.  I would rather not repeat these events, which is why I take the stance that the host must be "present to win."
There is a simple solution to this in my mind.  Have the DJ do the initial scheduling of karaoke with the time picked out and from that whoever is available to host can reply saying and it will be here.  This way the host/hostess will know up front OK karaoke is at this time this week can't do that but this other week I am available, so I'll host this other week.

I think perhaps we need to publish a list of available DJs for karaoke.
I think publishing a list is a great idea.

Another possibility is to train more people to DJ - setting up their player, etc...  Maybe we can set up and hold "D'ni-J Orientations" and invite the public to attend?

Any thoughts on this?
I would be more than happy to do this and considering my more than very open availability atm I would even be able to do this a couple times to accommodate different people's schedules.

DaytonaKit

So what you're saying is that the DJs step up and schedule the karaoke "when" first, then the hosts follow and schedule the "where"?  This is a possibility, and it could help smooth the process considerably.  At the same time, I also like the idea of having the hosts ask the DJs, then scheduling.  Dich's comment did bring up the reality that those who DJ like to be approached and asked, rather than needing to run in and save the day, so to speak.  Let's have the community speak on that before we decide for certain, but I'm open to anything.

And the possibility of having 2 different karaoke parties might also work, one in the morning and one in the evening.  It doesn't have to be the same DJ both times, since all the DJs have access to cards.  We may have to set a deadline for submitting karaoke cards, which will not be easy.  I myself will confess to being a last-minute singer.  But if it will help more people be involved with not just karaoke but other events, then let's do it.
                                             - Bette Midler

Jandai

I'm going to chime in here. :)

I like the idea of either DJ or Host booking a date on the calendar - that could work.  I am used to being approached myself, but find it difficult to say yes weeks in advance due to my roster.

Having 2 Karaoke's on one day could also help with scheduling conflicts, but could result in lower numbers - depending on whether numbers are an issue or not. (usually only an issue as far as too many...Homesteads and the like).

My only problem with the conflict with my event and Karaoke, was that I did check the calendar when I had to set a time, and there was not a DJ, nor a time set.  I had to set a time up a month in advance as it is part of another group's Horror Fest and my time is within their scheduled events.  I have advertised my event in D'ni Refugees and my own group for weeks, so people had to know I had something on at that time.  I didn't know until after the conflict came to light that I could have put my event onto the Karaoke calendar as well, as I thought it was for Karaoke only.  Next time I will do that.

Malia

Quote from: DaytonaKit on March 06, 2009, 04:56:09 PM
So what you're saying is that the DJs step up and schedule the karaoke "when" first, then the hosts follow and schedule the "where"?  This is a possibility, and it could help smooth the process considerably.  At the same time, I also like the idea of having the hosts ask the DJs, then scheduling.  Dich's comment did bring up the reality that those who DJ like to be approached and asked, rather than needing to run in and save the day, so to speak. 
I would like to be allowed to put in a bid for an open date as a DJ.  I'm afraid if I have to wait for a host to ask me, I might never get to DJ again... :(  I agree with what Kit and Sean have proposed, having the DJ select the party TIME, regardless of who actually opens the calendar entry.

Quote from: DaytonaKit on March 06, 2009, 04:56:09 PM
And the possibility of having 2 different karaoke parties might also work, one in the morning and one in the evening.  It doesn't have to be the same DJ both times, since all the DJs have access to cards.
Perhaps they don't even have to be on the same day, for example Saturday night and Sunday morning.  My intention was not really to make an alternate party happen every week, just occasionally when/if someone feels like doing it.

Just for the heek of it, I might suggest an occasional "rogue" karaoke party that could play entirely DJ's choice out of URU member songs that are listed as public on Singsnap/Simsonstage.  It would be fun to hear those old recordings from our Cavern days, and to remember some URU friends who are not in SL with us. :)

Somewhere above it was suggested to maintain a list of DJs, that is a great idea.  Sean, is there something in the site setup that would allow this to be easily done in its own page, or would a forum thread maintained by the person who started it be easiest?  One idea that comes to mind is to add a form field or check box in the profile that would show up and be "sortable" when viewing the member list, but I don't know if that is implementable or not.

Sean

Quote from: Malia on March 06, 2009, 07:17:34 PM
Somewhere above it was suggested to maintain a list of DJs, that is a great idea.  Sean, is there something in the site setup that would allow this to be easily done in its own page, or would a forum thread maintained by the person who started it be easiest?  One idea that comes to mind is to add a form field or check box in the profile that would show up and be "sortable" when viewing the member list, but I don't know if that is implementable or not.[/color]
I have an idea I will look into and will post if it works or not.  I have 2 different ideas, so if the first doesn't work out I know the second one will, but the 1st idea is the better way.  Is that vague enough? LOLOL  I don't want to get people's hopes up in case it doesn't work.

I will be attempting to record this Saturday's karaoke party and will rebroadcast it once or twice over the next week if it works.  /me crosses his fingers

Sean

Quote from: Sean Riedel on March 06, 2009, 09:16:16 PM
Quote from: Malia on March 06, 2009, 07:17:34 PM
Somewhere above it was suggested to maintain a list of DJs, that is a great idea.  Sean, is there something in the site setup that would allow this to be easily done in its own page, or would a forum thread maintained by the person who started it be easiest?  One idea that comes to mind is to add a form field or check box in the profile that would show up and be "sortable" when viewing the member list, but I don't know if that is implementable or not.[/color]
I have an idea I will look into and will post if it works or not.  I have 2 different ideas, so if the first doesn't work out I know the second one will, but the 1st idea is the better way.  Is that vague enough? LOLOL  I don't want to get people's hopes up in case it doesn't work.
I have added a new user group called D'ni-J and have added a few people to it.  If I'm forgetting anyone please let me know.  The list of D'ni-J's is viewable by clicking the "Staff List" link along the top of the page.  It will also show as your position on the Members page and under your name next to your posts unless you are a moderator or admin.  You also will get 5 green stars by your name and your name will be in green on the list of online members, again unless you are a moderator or admin.  Though, if you are an admin you can change your active group to D'ni-J if you want to.

DaytonaKit

Quote from: Jandai on March 06, 2009, 06:46:23 PM

I'm going to chime in here. :)

I like the idea of either DJ or Host booking a date on the calendar - that could work.  I am used to being approached myself, but find it difficult to say yes weeks in advance due to my roster.

Having 2 Karaoke's on one day could also help with scheduling conflicts, but could result in lower numbers - depending on whether numbers are an issue or not. (usually only an issue as far as too many...Homesteads and the like).

My only problem with the conflict with my event and Karaoke, was that I did check the calendar when I had to set a time, and there was not a DJ, nor a time set.  I had to set a time up a month in advance as it is part of another group's Horror Fest and my time is within their scheduled events.  I have advertised my event in D'ni Refugees and my own group for weeks, so people had to know I had something on at that time.  I didn't know until after the conflict came to light that I could have put my event onto the Karaoke calendar as well, as I thought it was for Karaoke only.  Next time I will do that.

I don't think numbers will be a problem at all.  Originally karaoke started so small that the same 5 or so people sang everything and it lasted only an hour.  Times have changed and we need to adapt accordingly.  Every once in a while, it'd be fun to have a big karaoke blow-out, such as the anniversary of the day the cavern shut down, perhaps.  But if having 2 karaoke parties would allow more attendance/participation in the long term w/o running into SL openspace/homestead issues, then it's something we need to consider.

When we first started in SL, it was easy to plan around each other because events were few and far between.  But now we've not only grown in numbers, but we've gotten more involved in various ways.  We have excellent means of communication, such as the Refugees groups and the D'ni Voice *cheers DMom and Deann*.  But a calendar where you can see everything put together will help out, and since we have this excellent resource thanks to Borg, then heek, why not exploit it to the max?

The general ideas I'm hearing so far are as follows.  First, let's use the calendar as much as possible.  Second, establish and announce a set time for your event as soon as possible so that others can plan accordingly.  Third, be calm and flexible as we're trying to work out multiple events among multiple people from multiple locations in multiple time zones.

You know, I think SilOhWet, our karaoke founder, would be proud of what we're doing here.  We need to hunt her down.
                                             - Bette Midler

Musicteachersheff

I agree with the DJ setting the time.  I don't think the time should stick at any one time for too many weeks in a row.  I personally can only make it at the 6 PM SL Time or later because of my kiddie's bedtimes, so anything earlier excludes me on the few weeks I don't already have something else going on with the family,(and totally not saying that anyone should go out of their way to accomodate me specificially) but too many afternoon or early evening times do kind of take the eastern timers out of the picture if they have families. 

the one thing that I will say bugs me a little bit is when Karaoke is ALREADY posted with a DJ and a time and then someone schedules another event at the same time.  Maybe they are karaoke-ers, maybe they are just D'ni community member, but I do think that if Karaoke is already scheduled with a DJ it shouldn't move for someone who sets an event after the fact.  Not meaning any offense here, just stating my feelings.

anyway, everyone involved does a great job and I look forward to a time (hopefully the summer) when my life slows down enough to attend more regularly

Thanks to all who have kept Karaoke going!

MT

Quote from: Musicteachersheff on March 07, 2009, 09:18:37 AM

the one thing that I will say bugs me a little bit is when Karaoke is ALREADY posted with a DJ and a time and then someone schedules another event at the same time. 

Amen to that.  8)

DaytonaKit

I agree that if an event is scheduled, we need to show consideration.  The reason why I asked to make an exception for Jandai's event is because she had planned this for over a month and the time for karaoke was posted only recently.  In light of that, I believe there's room for flexibility.

Quotethe one thing that I will say bugs me a little bit is when Karaoke is ALREADY posted with a DJ and a time and then someone schedules another event at the same time.  Maybe they are karaoke-ers, maybe they are just D'ni community member, but I do think that if Karaoke is already scheduled with a DJ it shouldn't move for someone who sets an event after the fact.  Not meaning any offense here, just stating my feelings.

I couldn't agree more.  In fact, I have my thoughts and feelings about such a situation right now and I'm seriously struggling with the way I want to respond and the right way to respond.  (In other words, I dare not speak lest I say something I'll need to apologize for later.)  It's a matter of courtesy and respect.  In fact, I'm planning on talking to some people privately, then making an administrative decision very soon.  I always try to step back and assist rather than dictate.  But the time to step up is at hand.  I just hope I don't make a village idiot out of myself.
                                             - Bette Midler

Malia

Quote from: DaytonaKit on March 07, 2009, 10:03:27 AM
Quote from: Musicteachersheff on March 07, 2009, 09:18:37 AMI do think that if Karaoke is already scheduled with a DJ it shouldn't move for someone who sets an event after the fact.
I couldn't agree more.  In fact, I have my thoughts and feelings about such a situation right now and I'm seriously struggling with the way I want to respond and the right way to respond.  (In other words, I dare not speak lest I say something I'll need to apologize for later.)  It's a matter of courtesy and respect.  In fact, I'm planning on talking to some people privately, then making an administrative decision very soon.
It sounds like the majority here are in agreement. (Hello, lurkers, we'd love to hear from you too!)  If people go ahead and schedule conflicting events from this point forward, you can refer them to this thread. :)  They are still welcome to schedule their conflicting event, but no promises that we will bend over backward for them.

Of course, if they grovel sincerely enough and send the DJ lots of yummy cookies (homemade, preferably chocolate)... we might make an exception... ;) 

DaytonaKit

I've gone ahead and began making the communications.  If anybody has any concerns or such, send them my way.
                                             - Bette Midler

Watashi

I Scheduled this Karaoke well over a month ago for 3pm.  We did that b/c we have many friends that live in Europe.   This time change cuts them completely out.   I am the one that set the Karaoke date and knowone said a thing to me.  What is the since of scheduling the event in the calendar, if the are not going to be honor the date and time, or at least contact the scheduler of the event.  I am in SL everyday.  Pls DO NOT change the future times of our Karaoke events.
You have to get out of the airplane, if you are going to FLY!
Watashi ;)

I'm truly sorry the Karaoke was rescheduled in this instance Wat. I do not think it will happen again. In future, as far as I'm concerned, any event posted, (with times), on the calender on this site is a done deal. Period. Anyone wanting to organise another event will have to work around what is already on this calender. This can apply to ANY event - not just Karaoke. That is what the calender is for and I hope more folks start to utilise it.  8)

Sean

Quote from: Watashi on March 07, 2009, 01:24:07 PM
I Scheduled this Karaoke well over a month ago for 3pm.  We did that b/c we have many friends that live in Europe.   This time change cuts them completely out.   I am the one that set the Karaoke date and knowone said a thing to me.  What is the since of scheduling the event in the calendar, if the are not going to be honor the date and time, or at least contact the scheduler of the event.  I am in SL everyday.  Pls DO NOT change the future times of our Karaoke events.
The future times can and may be changed if there is no DJ available for that time.  Can't have karaoke without a DJ LOL.

DaytonaKit

It was not my intent to supercede anybody's efforts.  If I wronged anybody, please speak to me privately so we can work things out and I can make apologies where they're due.  

I have put out a PSA in the D'ni Voice inviting people to use the calendar to plan events.  In the future, we will stick by this.  If something is planned but not put on the calendar, let the dice fall where they may.  If it really means anything to someone, I will tell them to talk to the DJ, not to me.

Somebody mentioned having 2 parties for maximum participation.  I think this is something we really need to consider.

We've laid the groundwork, now we just have to maintain it while continuing to build.
                                             - Bette Midler

Jandai

Quote from: Watashi on March 07, 2009, 01:24:07 PM

I checked here as soon as I was asked to provide an event and NO DJ and NO time was listed for the event.  I was in chat with some people in SL at the time and even said to them I was going to be wrong no matter what time I chose - it was always going to happen.  So, I'm not sure why your time of 3pm wasn't showing Watashi, but it most definitely was not there.  Or I would have scheduled mine for 5pm (then I could have attended Karaoke myself).

DaytonaKit

Did you check the calendar alone or did you click on the event to go to the forum post?
                                             - Bette Midler

Jandai

not sure now to be honest.  I know if I had seen a time, I would have scheduled around it as that was the whole reason I looked in the first place.  So if there was a time listed on the forum, then possibly I didn't.

Sean

As of this point the calendar does not support times for events just posting an event on a particular day and recurring/repeating events.  Which is where the linked posts come into play, but since is isn't the "norm" at least from my experience its something easily missed.  It comes down to learning our way around a new system.

Watashi

I must be missing something here...when i just cked Beach was listed as DJ on the 7th..???????
Watashi ;)

Sean

Quote from: Watashi on March 07, 2009, 05:42:30 PM
I must be missing something here...when i just cked Beach was listed as DJ on the 7th..???????
He is ... what at least I was saying was some people might not of realised that the listing on the calendar was linked to a thread in the forum as most calendar software does not do this and all that is said on the calendar is "Eder Gira karaoke" and thats all that it needs to say as long as people realise you click on it for more info.

Watashi

Like You said back up the line....More of a learning process than anything else.... I need to ck here more often too...Just wanted to make sure I am doing it right
Watashi ;)

DaytonaKit

With our previous calendar, there were several steps we needed to take in order to put an event on it.  Here, it's almost too easy, which can make for us missing the little things.  As Watashi said, this is a learning process.  Especially since the community is taking ownership of karaoke, rather than acquiescing to one person's mandates. 

I can only imagine what the American forefathers went through when they were working on establishing an entire government structure.  All I can say is "OY!"
                                             - Bette Midler

BeachRM

to start on a side note: Kit, you can get an emote hud which will allow you to say more than "Oy!" There may even be a free one you can beg borrow or steal from some of the dimmer wits in the city. Notice that me and Jack Webb never mention Watashi's name in order to protest the innercents.

I agree the learning is taking place as we go along, for Karaokeites as well as Uruites. As it happens, I was racing to deal with in Sl events, a RL emergency and technical problems all at the same time before Karaoke on Saturday and I was happy to be able to do it at the adjusted time.

I think Karaoke is a regularly occurring community anchor activity. I would love it if other event schedulers used the Karaoke calendar for posting their events as well. I support the notion of maintaining a schedule, once posted, unless the change is negotiated with the scheduler.

DaytonaKit

I'm glad that worked out for you, Beach.  I have to admit, I did stress a bit of all this scheduling stuff.  I wanted to make sure that anything I said or did was for the community and not my own personal whims.  Part of the reason why I got tired and had to bow out of karaoke early this past weekend, perhaps.  I'm just glad that we're all willing to work together!

Let's do what we can to make this happen.  I'll take care of the PSA in SL, both in the Voice and in a karaoke group  notice.  I think the best thing we can do, however, is to point individuals to the calendar to schedule events.  We want to support EVERYBODY'S efforts, and to do that, we need the info.  (Why do I feel like Dr. Evil all of a sudden?)

Funny you should mention the HUD, Beach.  I have a hosting HUD from my Arabian Nights days that allowed me to program common phrases that I used with guests, thus reducing my typing.  Maybe I can reconfigure it to help with karaoke.   As for the the emote HUD, this intrigues me.  Anything that allows me to cause mild to mid-level mischief is always a plus. :)
                                             - Bette Midler

Quote from: DaytonaKit on March 09, 2009, 06:10:10 AM
   As for the the emote HUD, this intrigues me.  Anything that allows me to cause mild to mid-level mischief is always a plus. :)

Can I have one please? Can I? Can I ? Can I? Huh? Pleeeeease. I promise I'll be good... ;D ;D

Musicteachersheff

There might be something to be said for setting a regular Karaoke time and keeping to it rather than allowing it to change simply to make it easier for people not to conflict.  However because of how wonderfully diverse we are geographically I know that is difficult.  Maybe we have set times for each week of each month so at least there is some predictability to our schedule at least to help event planners know what is going to happen???

ie:
First week - 6:00
2nd week - 3:00
3rd week - 5:00
4th week - 2:00

I've started a new thread here as the other was getting rather long. Musicteachersheff suggested different Karaoke start times on different weeks on the month. The average of those times is 4. Now, Borg (Sean) mentioned in an earlier post that the maximum numbers of listeners at Karaoke seems to occur when the start time is 4pm SL. How about having this as the regular start time?
Thoughts anyone?  8)

Sean

I'm thinking something like every other week it starts at 4pm and the other weeks it starts at an earlier time such as 12pm.  Though in the end it still comes down to when the DJ for that week is available.

Malia

I think I've already said too much on this subject.   :-X

As to splitting the thread... isn't it the mark of a great forum thread when it runs on to 20+ pages?  ;D
Here's a link to the original thread, in case someone drops in and wonders what's going on:  Clicky

Sean

Quote from: Malia on March 09, 2009, 03:03:27 PM
As to splitting the thread... isn't it the mark of a great forum thread when it runs on to 20+ pages?  ;D
Here's a link to the original thread, in case someone drops in and wonders what's going on:  Clicky

Merging them back together - think this should all be together.

DaytonaKit

I like the idea of DJ's choice because it not only allows more people, but it's encouraging for people who want to try their hand at DJ'ing.  (At least I think so.)  I do think that the karaoke events should have a confirmed time as soon as possible so people can schedule their RL and SL activities accordingly. 

I'd like to hear scheduling thoughts from people in the eastern hemisphere of the globe.  So far the only ones I've heard from are Dich and Jandai.  I'd like to think that this will affect more than the two of them.  What can we do to get people in Europe, Australia, and other parts of the world to share their voice? 
                                             - Bette Midler

Sean

Quote from: DaytonaKit on March 09, 2009, 04:55:29 PM
I like the idea of DJ's choice because it not only allows more people, but it's encouraging for people who want to try their hand at DJ'ing.  (At least I think so.)
I'm thinking about doing a training thing to train people how to stream and DJ.  Will post about it soonish.

Quote from: DaytonaKit on March 09, 2009, 04:55:29 PM
I do think that the karaoke events should have a confirmed time as soon as possible so people can schedule their RL and SL activities accordingly.
I agree and also agree on it being the DJ's choice on when it should start.