News:

Welcome to Uru Karaoke!!  To submit a Karaoke Card click "Karaoke Cards" below!!  You must be logged in!!

Main Menu

SingSnap dumps more songs

Started by AnneB, June 10, 2009, 07:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnneB

I have 25 songs that will be removed next Tuesday, including two that I had not submitted before. Some of my best songs are going.  :'(

Sean

Quote from: Donahoo on June 10, 2009, 07:59:06 PM
I have 25 songs that will be removed next Tuesday, including two that I had not submitted before. Some of my best songs are going.  :'(
I have 2 being removed.  That'll mean 3 out of my 9 songs can't be played after next Tuesday.  One that was removed a while back has 3 yes 3 other versions of the same exact song with the same lyrics and music that can be recorded, but the one I did can't be played.

AnneB

Two messages from Trevor here: http://www.singsnap.com/snap/r/b7bc2acd

Listen to both of them whether you are pessimistic or optimistic.

Some of my songs are still available from other companies, will just have to record them over.

Sean

Quote from: Donahoo on June 10, 2009, 08:11:36 PM

Two messages from Trevor here: http://www.singsnap.com/snap/r/b7bc2acd

Listen to both of them whether you are pessimistic or optimistic.

Some of my songs are still available from other companies, will just have to record them over.
I do like that they will be adding stuff for free members as I can't afford a paid account there.  I will be recording the two Fall Out Boy songs I'm loosing to my hard cause I want to keep them.  If anyone else wants to do this its pretty easy to do using a free program called Audacity.

Malia

Links to Trevor's written posts on Singsnap, for those who prefer to read:
Update for Optimists
Update for Pessimists

I'll be losing 17 songs. :(

If you want to save a personal copy of your recordings, there is a free program called Audacity that you can use; just play the recording in Singsnap and record it in Audacity, then save it as an MP3.

Audacity

DISCLAIMER: I make no claims about the legality of doing so... I'm just sayin'...
♪ Malia4uru on Singsnap and Multiply

Horatio

I have another option that I think is actually better than Audacity that I'd like to mention. The audacity option is great, but it requires you to re-record your song as it's playing back, rather than copying the actual source file. This can introduce unwanted hiccups and glitches introduced during the streaming.

I highly suggest using a new Firefox plugin called "Media Stealer" that actually just saves the temporary source file as it's downloaded to your computer as a Flash Video File (.flv). This is the exact temporary file that you playback in the SingSnap player. Unlike Audacity, you also don't have to play the file back in real time and spend that time recording. As soon as the file is streamed to your computer's temp cache, you're done and can move on to the next song.

Once you have the .flv file, you will have to convert it to an .mp3 with another program, but there are many programs that will pull out the audio portion of a .flv and convert it, so there are choices for that aspect of the process.

The IMPORTANT thing is to get the files from SingSnap before they're gone. You can convert them at your leisure after the licensing deadline zaps them all.

Oh, yeah - DISCLAIMER: I make no claims about the legality of doing so... I'm just sayin'...

Sean

Quote from: Horatio on June 12, 2009, 04:37:31 PM
I have another option that I think is actually better than Audacity that I'd like to mention. The audacity option is great, but it requires you to re-record your song as it's playing back, rather than copying the actual source file. This can introduce unwanted hiccups and glitches introduced during the streaming.

I highly suggest using a new Firefox plugin called "Media Stealer" that actually just saves the temporary source file as it's downloaded to your computer as a Flash Video File (.flv). This is the exact temporary file that you playback in the SingSnap player. Unlike Audacity, you also don't have to play the file back in real time and spend that time recording. As soon as the file is streamed to your computer's temp cache, you're done and can move on to the next song.

Once you have the .flv file, you will have to convert it to an .mp3 with another program, but there are many programs that will pull out the audio portion of a .flv and convert it, so there are choices for that aspect of the process.

The IMPORTANT thing is to get the files from SingSnap before they're gone. You can convert them at your leisure after the licensing deadline zaps them all.

Oh, yeah - DISCLAIMER: I make no claims about the legality of doing so... I'm just sayin'...
This is definitely a faster option especially if you have a lot of songs to record.

Malia

LOL... I think the name "Media Stealer" kinda says it for you. ;) 
I'll probably give it a try... just for fun, you understand... *cough*

Next question, do you think it would be a good idea to send out a group notice and notecard in SL about this?  We love our karaoke website very much, but there are some people who don't check it frequently enough to get the message before their songs go poof.

Sean

Quote from: Malia on June 13, 2009, 01:46:53 PM
LOL... I think the name "Media Stealer" kinda says it for you. ;)  
I'll probably give it a try... just for fun, you understand... *cough*

Next question, do you think it would be a good idea to send out a group notice and notecard in SL about this?  We love our karaoke website very much, but there are some people who don't check it frequently enough to get the message before their songs go poof.

I did get an email about the songs going away, but it wouldn't hurt to do it.  Malia, I think you just volunteered yourself. ;)

Edit: I'm sending out a notice to the karaoke group with a link to this thread.

DMom2K

I am also going to get it into the newsletter Monday.

Sean

Quote from: DMom2K on June 13, 2009, 02:18:08 PM
I am also going to get it into the newsletter Monday.
Thank you very much!!  ;D

Malia

If anyone is not aware of it, we can upload songs to the "Gallery" section for future use at karaoke. :D

Malia

I tested the Firefox plugin Media Stealer from Horatio's above post (thanks, Horatio!).  It was easy and fast, once I had the settings correct. Singsnap tunes are FLV files which are video, not audio.

After capturing them I used this free program to convert them to MP3 format.
Pazera Free Audio Extractor

AnneB

I had been saving mine the hard way - play and record - before Horatio posted this better solution. I wonder if you can keep them in the video format and play them that way. Did you try that Malia?

Malia

Quote from: Donahoo on June 17, 2009, 10:57:43 AM
I had been saving mine the hard way - play and record - before Horatio posted this better solution. I wonder if you can keep them in the video format and play them that way. Did you try that Malia?
Couldn't play it in RealPlayer, Windows Media Player or iTunes, and it caused WinAmp and Audacity to crash.
The only program I have that will play it is Irfanview, and its music interface does not have the options I need to use as a DJ.

The free audio extractor I linked to above will convert them as a batch process so it's quite fast.  You don't need to install anything after extracting the files, just click on the executable file in the folder to run the program.

AnneB

Several months ago after the first mention I heard of songs being lost, I tried to save them to by embedding them in a web page, then saving the page. The save process created flash files that looked like what you see on SingSnap but they would only play briefly, while the browser was open. Apparently they were linked to the SingSnap database.