News:

Welcome to Uru Karaoke!!  To submit a Karaoke Card click "Karaoke Cards" below!!  You must be logged in!!

Main Menu

Dreamstream Shoutcast Hosting

Started by Sean, February 08, 2009, 03:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

Dreamstream sells various shoutcast hosting packages from their in world store in Second Life.  The prices for their standard packages are as follow and they also have custom packages available if you are looking for AutoDJ functionality.  You can pay for up to 4 months up front and your stream is available instantly if its a standard package.

Monthly Rental Options:
10 Listeners @ 128kbps - Unlimited Monthly Bandwith - L$300/month
25 Listeners @ 128kbps - Unlimited Monthly Bandwith - L$500/month
50 Listeners @ 128kbps - Unlimited Monthly Bandwith - L$1000/month
100 Listeners @ 128kbps - Unlimited Monthly Bandwith - L$1500/month

Weekly Rental Options:
25 Listeners @ 128kbps - Unlimited Monthly Bandwith - L$150/week
50 Listeners @ 128kbps - Unlimited Monthly Bandwith - L$300/week
100 Listeners @ 128kbps - Unlimited Monthly Bandwith - L$600/week

Daily Rental Options:
25 Listeners @ 128kbps - Unlimited Monthly Bandwith - L$50/day
50 Listeners @ 128kbps - Unlimited Monthly Bandwith - L$100/day
100 Listeners @ 128kbps - Unlimited Monthly Bandwith - L$200/day

I have been getting my stream form them now for about 5 months and have never had a problem with them.  The owner is a great guy who is very helpful if you do have any problems.  They are located here in world: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Pillow%20Rock/191/180/21

I am also now reselling them at the following location in world and would encourage you to get them here if you do as well as renewing them here: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Delphi/28/62/23

Watashi

Hmmmm this sounds interesting.   Thanks for the heads up on this Sean
You have to get out of the airplane, if you are going to FLY!
Watashi ;)

Malia

Is this hosting somehow limited to SL use only?  Can it be used outside of SL too?
♪ Malia4uru on Singsnap and Multiply

Sean

Quote from: Malia on March 05, 2009, 04:49:11 PM
Is this hosting somehow limited to SL use only?  Can it be used outside of SL too?
Nope, its just like any other shoutcast hosting.  It can be used outside of SL.  The only part SL plays in it is that you pay for it using lindens inside of SL.  Basically, every 4 months I go to their main store and pay into a hippo rent box, though I could also do this once a month if I wanted to or whatever.

DaytonaKit

I used a similar service when I hosted karaoke.  It was a one-day rental for about $199L.  The only problem I had with it was that it was designed for 100 listeners, and my computer is good but not that good.  Next time, I'll just rent a week-long server for $400.  If anybody's interested, I'll post the slURL here.
"I didn't belong as a kid, and that always bothered me.  If only I'd known that one day my 'differentness' would be an asset, then my early life would have been much easier."
                                             - Bette Midler

Sean

Quote from: DaytonaKit on March 05, 2009, 08:08:35 PM
I used a similar service when I hosted karaoke.  It was a one-day rental for about $199L.  The only problem I had with it was that it was designed for 100 listeners, and my computer is good but not that good.  Next time, I'll just rent a week-long server for $400.  If anybody's interested, I'll post the slURL here.
You are in fact only streaming to 1 "listener" wether you have 10, 50, 100, or more people listening because you are streaming to a server which is then streaming what you are playing to your listeners.  You could if you wanted to be using a 15 year old computer to stream and have 1000 listeners and have absolutely no problems.

Dichromus Benoir-Miles (aka DJ Dich)

That's correct. You only need to be concerned about the "'specs" of your computer if you are going to use it as your own server. Quite a lot of folks do this where they have a powerful machine and a very good upload speed. It requires some extra (free)  Shoutcast software  and is fairly straightforward to understand and install. You then need to find a Shoutcast hosting site to upload your stream to. (Not free, unfortunately). I would do it if my upload speed was any good. My ISP (BT Broadband) here in the UK "throttles" upload speeds and I cannot get any faster than 380 Kb/sec. I believe you need at least 512 Kb/sec to make it worthwhile to have a "home" server setup.  :(

DaytonaKit

I don't stream regularly enough to warrant getting my own server.  But anything that will allow me to "rent as needed" only is a good thing.  As long as it actually works of course ;)
"I didn't belong as a kid, and that always bothered me.  If only I'd known that one day my 'differentness' would be an asset, then my early life would have been much easier."
                                             - Bette Midler

Sean

Quote from: DaytonaKit on March 09, 2009, 04:58:28 PM
I don't stream regularly enough to warrant getting my own server.  But anything that will allow me to "rent as needed" only is a good thing.  As long as it actually works of course ;)
Feel free to use mine if I'm not already using it.  I'll send you the info if and when you want to use it.

DaytonaKit

- Bette Midler

Sean

New pricing and packages available as well as the addition of weekly rental options.  I have updated the first post to reflect the changes.

Malia

How many listeners do we need in order to accommodate karaoke?
♪ Malia4uru on Singsnap and Multiply

Sean

Quote from: Malia on August 18, 2009, 04:45:52 PM
How many listeners do we need in order to accommodate karaoke?
The most listeners I've ever had a one time at karaoke was in the high 30s.  I've been renting a 50 listener stream for almost a year now and plan on continuing renting it especially since the price went down.

Sean

I am also now reselling these packages at the following location in world and would encourage you to get them here if you do as well as renewing them here: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Delphi/47/66/26

Sean

Quote from: Sean Riedel on August 16, 2009, 11:46:10 PM
New pricing and packages available as well as the addition of weekly rental options.  I have updated the first post to reflect the changes.
There are now also daily rental options.  I have added the new packages to the first post.