News:

Welcome to Uru Karaoke!!  To submit a Karaoke Card click "Karaoke Cards" below!!  You must be logged in!!

Main Menu

Karaoke Change of Time

Started by AnneB, March 02, 2024, 04:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnneB

I want to revisit starting Karaoke earlier, I'm thinking maybe 2pm Easter which would be 11am SL time and noon KI Time. I don't want to lose any more singers or listeners. I know some of you will be in favor of this. Please comment here and tell me what you think and if the time suits you.

When this was mentioned before I didn't want to change what had been done for years, having been started by Sil-Oh-Wet before I ever became a listener in 2008. But she has been dead for 12 years and so many of our singers and listeners have moved on to other things. Maybe some will come back if there is a better starting time.

Seeker

Hey Dona, it would be great if you could change the time for karaoke. I am completely on your side

Zen-Den-Lupe

Changing the time would be ok with me.  When I'm back in Minnesota, the present schedule has Karaoke coming on at 5PM. Since I'm retired, anytime works but I know it's a sign of dedication for our European friends to stay up until after midnight!!!  Moving it earlier by and hour or so would only slightly effect the US friends but would dramatically help our European explorers!

skyisblu

So I have no issue with the time changing, as I record the show most of time anyways, but there are several other things to take into account in terms of in-cavern activities in MOULa. Saturdays already have the quite the busy schedule normally, including:
- Fil's Live video broadcast at noon EST
- R'Tayrtahn's Story Night Europe at 4 pm EST
- Classic Story Night at 1:30 am EST
On top of that, the All-Guilds Meeting is held the first Saturday of the month at 3 pm EST. This complicates changing the time for karaoke because you would lose some of the audience, and possibly singers, to any of these competing activities, if karaoke is help at the same time.

Now, I know that Fil's Live video broadcast only runs an hour, so starting karaoke right after that, at 1 pm EST, would be a good option, but you would have to take into account that on weeks when AGM is held, the audience might leave early if the show runs longer than 2 hours.

Another option that might be acceptable could be to continue holding karaoke at 6 pm EST, but limit singers contributions to one song each. I remember when I first signed up for karaoke, I read that it was at the discretion of the DJ how many submitted songs got played, and which ones, so I was surprised when everyone was submitting 3 songs and getting them played, too. Having only one song each might encourage new singers to join, as sending in one song is a lot less daunting than 3. For us regulars, we could devote more time to perfecting our one contribution for the week.

Ultimately, the decision lies with you, Dona, as the DJ in charge, and I will do my best to continue to join and sing with you all no matter what the final decision is :)

(edited to add : Friday could be another option for time changes - I know that in the regular schedule of activities, there is nothing planned on Fridays, so you would have the option to switch the time to whenever you wanted! This would make it difficult, however, for anyone in the audience who works during the day, to attend, but there will be people affected no matter when Karaoke is re-scheduled, so...)

AnneB

I'm going to reply to Sky because she has mentioned some good points. I don't know where you read that the number of songs, unless it was in DJ Dich's rant about his Terms of Use. He was very angry about something someone did and came up with these TOU as if they had been agreed on by everyone, although he was a DJ long before I was. As far as I know, there have always been three rotations. I would have to put it to a vote to change that. It has always been the prerogative of the singers as to the number of songs to submit; though I think just one song would not be enough.

Like I said before I don't want to lose any singers or any listeners. Friday is a good option for Lareh and me because we are retired, and probably for the Europeans, as well. I don't know who still works though, I can ask. I like this option better than only playing one song.

I wish there would be more comments.

Sean

Quote from: AnneB on March 07, 2024, 06:42:36 PMI'm going to reply to Sky because she has mentioned some good points. I don't know where you read that the number of songs, unless it was in DJ Dich's rant about his Terms of Use. He was very angry about something someone did and came up with these TOU as if they had been agreed on by everyone, although he was a DJ long before I was. As far as I know, there have always been three rotations.
I recall reading this *somewhere* years ago too, but at this point I can't remember where as its been way too long. For all I know it was on the site/submission form that was used before this one existed (before February 2009) or maybe it was even in Second Life on a notecard or something. That being said, back when I DJed some karaoke parties I always did three full sets too no matter how long they were.

As for changing the date/time. I won't suggest a date/time as I haven't been able to go in years, but I think its a great idea if it means potentially getting more people going and submitting songs. I never worry about things like "its always been this way" if it means it makes things better. Plus worst case it can always be changed again.

AnneB

I just learned that at any early time on Friday will lose Zoss and MET. Another suggestion Saturday at 1pm Easter, 11am KI time, 10am Second Life time. Opinions please.

Sean

Maybe compile a list of options and start a poll here giving people an amount of time to vote and see what happens?

skyisblu

Since all the other options seems to be off the table for various reasons, I think, by default, the best option is the Saturday afternoon one, with Karaoke starting at 11 KI, after Fil's livestream. On the one week a month when AGM happens, I imagine a few of us will have to leave a little bit earlier, but since Karaoke runs about 2.5 hours on a big week, it's only the last half hour that will be missed. I can't speak for anyone else, but I am good with having the Karaoke moved to this time slot - I'll even be able to attend "in person" since it is before my shift starts at the restaurant :D

AnneB

I think that's a good idea sky; I have put it in this week's notice for March 23