News:

Welcome to Uru Karaoke!!  To submit a Karaoke Card click "Karaoke Cards" below!!  You must be logged in!!

Main Menu

Karaoke themes

Started by Kneb Fall, April 07, 2019, 03:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kneb Fall

Hello
I think the Beatles theme was a success and it will not be easy to top that. I thought about other artists like Bob Dylan, but his songs tend to be very long with a lot of text. Themes could be about artists, music styles like pop, rock, country, jazz, blues, R&B etc.
It can be about seasons, holidays, special occasions. Maybe it will be too much to have themes every week, but maybe once a month or more seldom. Katran talked about April 20th then it's the D'ni New Year's day and it's also Eastern eve. It could be nice to have a theme then. What do you think? I suggest a Country Music Theme

Nevaydev

I like the idea of themes once a month or so - like we could say the first Saturday of each month (or any Saturday really).  For the D'ni New Year I have already chosen 3 "party" or "dancey" songs so I would not be submitting country that week.  I remember promising someone a disco tune so....that's not really country lol!

But I'm behind this idea - yeah.  I think DJ Dona will have to remind people every week of the upcoming theme date because people do not attend every single week.  And perhaps Larry and Seeker can continue posting those great announcements on the FB page to invite people to listen - telling the theme if there is one.

Thanks for starting this idea Kneb!!

Kneb Fall

Country music was just a suggestion, it can be about something else, and at another time, maybe May 4.
My idea with starting this thread was to make a forum for discussion and to hear your opinions. So please reply and say what you think of this. If you like it, we could continue doing it, if not we can drop it. The themes must be something we agreed on.
Come with suggestions and ideas.

Dona, you are in charge of karaoke, what do you think about this?

Kneb

AnneB

I think it's a great idea, as long as there is the option to submit some other genre than what the theme calls for. Some people can't do certain types of songs; either they don't know them or just don't like that type of music. I know you will never hear rap or hip-hop from me.  ;D Plus I don't  want to decide every time; there should be a discussion with everyone present.

Sean

Quote from: AnneB on April 13, 2019, 11:16:43 AM
Plus I don't  want to decide every time; there should be a discussion with everyone present.
I had an idea for this. Two or three weeks before whenever the theme day is a poll could be posted here and give everyone a week to vote on the theme for that day. This would then give everyone a week or two to get a song or songs ready for that theme. Could also make a thread (or turn this into it) for suggesting themes for future polls.

I agree with encouraging the theme, but making it optional and once a month could be a good time frame for something like this.

AnneB

Sounds good to me, Sean; I don't know how to make a poll here but it shouldn't be too hard. I'm on my way out the door but I'll check back later and see how it's done.

morning

Nice to have a theme now and again, maybe theme to the SL venue/clothing.
Shouldn't be every week though.
I rather like the 'anything goes' thing we have going.
Also there is a limit to how many songs a 'free' singsnap member can access. We could all end up with the same song!

Another point; I noted the other week when I 'didn't get the memo' I felt I was a bit out on a limb- we don't want to discourage newbies. How about a monthly non compulsory theme so those who are slow of the mark can get into it and maybe inspired?
perhaps have just one song[or two?] from that months theme with a wildcard 2nd[2nd/3rd].
Listening for 2 hours to a theme you don't like will just put off the audience. :D .....we don't want that.
PS
Every month is Beatles month! LOL.

AnneB

That's a good idea, morning. And I completely forgot to come back and post a poll.

Kneb Fall

Maybe the improvised Beatles theme was a one time thing. I realize it will be hard to arrange themes on a regular basis, and that not all would like the idea. I think it's better to have it as before and people can chose their own themes with their three songs if they like to. That way we have more variation and freedom.

AnneB

Kneb, we can do an occasional theme. I'll start a new thread asking for suggestions, then make a poll to see what's popular.

Kneb Fall

I think we can drop the idea now,The Beatles theme was special because everybody likes the Beatles, and they have so many songs to choose from, so it worked right away. My idea to to continue having themes was not thought of thoroughly, and it was just a try to make something new to karaoke.
So having occasional themes sometimes is fine with me.

AnneB

That's probably a good idea, Kneb, since none of the other singers have put their thoughts here.