News:

Welcome to Uru Karaoke!!  To submit a Karaoke Card click "Karaoke Cards" below!!  You must be logged in!!

Main Menu

Security at karaoke parties

Started by DaytonaKit, March 29, 2009, 05:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaytonaKit

During White Rose's party last night, two strangers appeared.  Both belonged to questionable groups, and one of them carried a gun which he pulled out and aimed towards guests.  They both left, one of them voluntarily and the other being ejected thanks to White Rose.  But this has reminded me that even though we are a safe and fun-loving community, we are in Second Life.  This means that we are going to encounter griefers and such, so we need to be prepared accordingly.

The only people who can eject/ban from land are the land owners and anybody whom they have given those rights to.  If you are a host for karaoke, please make sure you know how to do this.  The eject/ban is relatively easy - right click a person, select "more" then select "eject" or "ban."  There are also HUDs available that allow you to select a person to remove, even if they're moving around.  You should also know how to add people to the ban list in your land access, just in case.  If you're not sure you have this right, talk to your estate owner. 

If you're not comfortable doing this, or you'd like extra assistance, you may give such land rights to others that you trust.  If you have your own group for the land, you can simply give these rights to people within that group.  Another option is that I add a security role to the karaoke group.  You could temporarily deed your land to the karaoke group, assign this role to whom you choose, and undeed the land later if you wish.  (In fact, I'd recommend it.)

I wish we didn't have to go through all this.  Karaoke is and should be an event where all are welcome.  However, the reality is that we will encounter people from time to time who are intent on disrupting and causing trouble, so we need to be ready to deal with them swiftly but fairly.
"I didn't belong as a kid, and that always bothered me.  If only I'd known that one day my 'differentness' would be an asset, then my early life would have been much easier."
                                             - Bette Midler

Dichromus Benoir-Miles (aka DJ Dich)

Funny this should crop up this week. I was only thinking the other day that Karaoke has been fortunate to be free of security problems until now. As it is a public occasion the chance of griefing/bad behaviour will always be there unfortunately. Personally I think a new role of Security Officer for Karaoke nights is a good idea. Better to be safe than sorry IMHO. I have ejected/banned folks from my properties in the past and Kit can regale happenings at Arabian Nights not so long ago.
Yes, on balance, I think some form of security is needed at Karaoke nights. Just in case.  8)

Edit.
It has been my experience that just the sight of someone with a Security tag above their head is sufficient to deter some potential troublemakers. ;)   

Malia

I seem to recall sometime in the past Kit had created a list of duties that the Host and DJ are committing to.  It would be nice to have these posted in a stickied thread here called something like "Karaoke Job Responsibilities", perhaps a moderator-only thread so it doesn't get bogged down in discussion but could still be updated. 

I believe that as the land owner/renter, security should fall under the role of Host, whether s/he does it or appoints someone else to do it.

Some of our hosts are pretty SL-savvy; I think a "security" person is only warranted in cases where the host/hostess is not comfortable performing security.  For example, I would propose to list under host/hostess duties:

"The hostess/host for a karaoke party will provide security against griefing/harassing/obscene behavior and know how to eject and ban avatars from the land. 

If the s/he is not comfortable with this role, then s/he will arrange to have someone else present who has the ability to ban and eject avatars from the land."
♪ Malia4uru on Singsnap and Multiply

AnneB

If this is a dumb question, please laugh somewhere else.  :o Vulcan Myst is open to the public, but it is not a place that one would happen across accidentally. How could strangers just appear there with no connection to any of us? I have had strange people on my land before but they seemed to be just passing through, but they never answered when I spoke.

Malia

Some people open the map in SL and go to where they see a lot of green dots indicating people, just because they can. It's ok if they are just wanting to make friends but some of them do it to cause trouble.  :(

AnneB

Quote from: Malia on March 30, 2009, 07:41:13 PM
Some people open the map in SL and go to where they see a lot of green dots indicating people, just because they can. It's ok if they are just wanting to make friends but some of them do it to cause trouble.  :(

Well, I've seen those stacks of green dots on the map before but it has never occurred to me to crash some stranger's party.  ???

Malia

I have to admit, I once looked up while building on my Relto and upon seeing a male avatar hovering near me wearing leather chaps, with his ***** dangling in the breeze for all to see, and what little diplomacy I have deserted me completely.  I just ejected and banned him without saying a word, I was too embarrassed to say anything at all!!!

AnneB

Quote from: Malia on March 30, 2009, 07:45:57 PM
I have to admit, I once looked up while building on my Relto and upon seeing a male avatar hovering near me wearing leather chaps, with his ***** dangling in the breeze for all to see, and what little diplomacy I have deserted me completely.  I just ejected and banned him without saying a word, I was too embarrassed to say anything at all!!!

:D That reminds me of a skydiving video I once saw.  ;D

Malia

DaytonaKit

Quote from: Malia on March 29, 2009, 11:44:20 AM
I seem to recall sometime in the past Kit had created a list of duties that the Host and DJ are committing to.  It would be nice to have these posted in a stickied thread here called something like "Karaoke Job Responsibilities", perhaps a moderator-only thread so it doesn't get bogged down in discussion but could still be updated. 

I believe that as the land owner/renter, security should fall under the role of Host, whether s/he does it or appoints someone else to do it.

Some of our hosts are pretty SL-savvy; I think a "security" person is only warranted in cases where the host/hostess is not comfortable performing security.  For example, I would propose to list under host/hostess duties:

"The hostess/host for a karaoke party will provide security against griefing/harassing/obscene behavior and know how to eject and ban avatars from the land. 

If the s/he is not comfortable with this role, then s/he will arrange to have someone else present who has the ability to ban and eject avatars from the land."

I have this somewhere in my SL inventory.  I'll bring it back up and leave it for open review.

Oh wait, found it!  I'll post it in a separate topic.
"I didn't belong as a kid, and that always bothered me.  If only I'd known that one day my 'differentness' would be an asset, then my early life would have been much easier."
                                             - Bette Midler