News:

Welcome to Uru Karaoke!!  To submit a Karaoke Card click "Karaoke Cards" below!!  You must be logged in!!

Main Menu

Music Stream module and Firefox

Started by Malia, February 17, 2009, 12:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malia

I have Firefox 3.0 for WinXP.  My PC has WMP, Realplayer, Quicktime and iTunes.The music stream module says "click here to download plugin" but when I click, Firefox says "no suitable plugins were found". Any ideas?
♪ Malia4uru on Singsnap and Multiply

Sean

<embed src="', $stream_url, '" autostart="true" width="225" height="40" type="application/x-mplayer2">
That's the code for the player if it helps.  You should just need a Windows Media Player plug in of some kind for Firefox.  When I get a chance I'll poke at Firefox as I don't have it installed on this PC or if someone has a better thought on how to embed the player please let me know.

Malia

I did find a WMP plugin for Firefox.
http://port25.technet.com/archive/2007/04/16/windows-media-player-plug-in-for-firefox.aspx
Installed, restarted Firefox.

Now the "missing plugin" message is gone but I don't see a "player", just a gray box that says "no stream".  Is that what I am supposed to see?

Sean

I set it to Sim Kast Radio temporarily.  Is it working for you?

Malia

Now that you have a stream up, I get music playing automatically when opening the site.  Unfortunately, I don't see any way to CONTROL it, it is now a gray box with the text Sim Kast Radio 3.0 in it.  The music restarts when I refresh the page or move around the site and there is no on/off interface. I am guessing that there is supposed to be some kind of interface that I'm not seeing.

Sean

Quote from: Malia on February 17, 2009, 03:24:41 PM
Now that you have a stream up, I get music playing automatically when opening the site.  Unfortunately, I don't see any way to CONTROL it, it is now a gray box with the text Sim Kast Radio 3.0 in it.  The music restarts when I refresh the page or move around the site and there is no on/off interface. I am guessing that there is supposed to be some kind of interface that I'm not seeing.
Yes there is hmmm.  I attached an image of what I see.  Let me try something.  I'll update this post when its changed.

Edit: I've changed it slightly.  If you still don't see anything it could be the plug in you are using.

Edit: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Windows_Media_Player#Player_does_not_appear_but_audio_sometimes_still_plays

Malia

That is what I installed... I can now hear the stream, but the player interface isn't there. 

I just tested in Internet Explorer and it works, but I almost never use IE (and don't want to).  Will keep trying...

Sean

Quote from: Malia on February 17, 2009, 04:17:49 PM
That is what I installed... I can now hear the stream, but the player interface isn't there. 

I just tested in Internet Explorer and it works, but I almost never use IE (and don't want to).  Will keep trying...

That second link was to a couple possible ways to get it to show up.  If it just took you to the top of the page the info was closer to the bottom.  Here is another option.  http://blog.ryaneby.com/archives/firefox-cant-play-applicationx-mplayer2-embeds/

Malia

OK... it turns out I needed to disable the Shockwave Flash plugin for Firefox... geez, who would think of that???

EDIT: update, it only works some of the time... keeps breaking when I leave the page, then I have to toggle the Shockwave flash on and off until it works again... so it must be something to do with Flash, maybe I'll get it sorted eventually.

AnneB

Is there a place to turn it off? I pause it, then change pages and it's back. I mute it, then change pages and it's unmuted. I turn the volume all the way down, well you know.

Sean

Quote from: Donahoo on April 18, 2009, 01:16:18 PM
Is there a place to turn it off? I pause it, then change pages and it's back. I mute it, then change pages and it's unmuted. I turn the volume all the way down, well you know.
As of right now I can only turn it on and off for everyone.  I will look into a way to change that.  Is it auto-playing for you?  I have it currently set not to and it doesn't for me.  As for setting like volume and muting - I don't think those are settings that save.

AnneB

It is autoplaying for me in Firefox 3. I had not noticed it before last night. I was having trouble with my Shoutcast server and had my headphones on when I came here to find a way to get in touch with you. Don't turn it off for everyone, that defeats the purpose of having it here. I'll just remove my headphones.

Sean

It might be a setting in your plugin though I am guessing.

AnneB

I can't find any way to edit the plugin, just had to disable it.  :-\

Dichromus Benoir-Miles (aka DJ Dich)

Is there any way to turn off the player at the top right hand corner of every forum page? I turn if off when it starts and then the darn thing starts up again when you change to another page. I like music but this is most annoying. If I want to listen I will but I don't care for music to be "on " permanently especially when I'm trying to concentrate on posting.  :(