News:

Welcome to Uru Karaoke!!  To submit a Karaoke Card click "Karaoke Cards" below!!  You must be logged in!!

Main Menu

What is "Karma"?

Started by Malia, February 09, 2009, 02:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malia

What's the "karma" thing?  Some kind of popularity contest?  Not sure I like that... brings up all sorts of buried childhood issues...
♪ Malia4uru on Singsnap and Multiply

Sean

I generally see it used as another way of appaulding someone for a great post or another way of agreeing with whatever is posted.  On the other hand the smite side I've rarely ever seen used and when I have seen it used on other sites its very well deserved.  In other words its hopefully never used.  I've heard similar systems in the past described as a way for regular members to self moderate each other.

Malia

Oooh, I got a 1!  Someone loves me, yay! :D
♪ Malia4uru on Singsnap and Multiply

Sean

Yep.  I applauded you for the duet thread.  Its really a great idea.

AnneB

Quote from: Sean Riedel on February 13, 2009, 01:14:32 AM
Well I can't figure out how the karma thing works. Couldn't find it in the help file either.

Sean

Quote from: Donahoo on February 13, 2009, 08:01:53 PM
Quote from: Sean Riedel on February 13, 2009, 01:14:32 AM
Well I can't figure out how the karma thing works. Couldn't find it in the help file either.
There are 2 buttons under the karma display next to each post labeled "applaud" and "smite".  I generally see it used this way.  You can "applaud" someone for a good post or you agree with whatever they posted or something along those lines.  I generally only see "smite" used against spammers/flamers and the like.  Its one way to discourage such things as even if that post gets deleted there "karma" will still be visible to others.  I once saw a good thread on another forum about how it can be used to self moderate threads. (I would post a link, but I forget where i saw it and I think it was a private forum.)  Is it possible to radically change someones karma by rapidly pressing the applaud/smite buttons over and over.  No, its currently set so that you have to wait one hour between applauding or smiting someone.  Also, if such a thing did happen, it can be undone.  Also, you can't modify someone's Karma til after you have made 5 posts.  This helps eliminate people making extra accounts just to modify someone's karma and get around the time limit.  Yes, I've heard of people doing this before on other sites.

I'm splitting off the part of this post related to karma into its own thread so it can be more visible to new members.

Sean

As a thought.  If people don't like the terms "Karma", "applaud", and "smite" I can change that easily.  Those are the default settings, so if someone has a suggestion for better terms please post it here.

I also have the option of showing the total positive/applauds and negative/smites someone has recieved or just an overall total karma (i.e. if i received +1 +1 -1 it would should my total being 1).  This might be a better way to go.  Any thoughts?

AnneB

No buttons for me here ( see screenie below), but I've seen them on another forum. That forum uses hug and swat.  :)

Edit to add: well they are there now, just the words not buttons.  ::)

Sean

Quote from: Sean Riedel on February 13, 2009, 08:56:30 PM
Also, you can't modify someone's Karma til after you have made 5 posts.
You should see it now.  ;D

They appear as text links that you click to modify someone's karma up or down.

AnneB

::)

Well, I just got to 5, didn't I.  ;D

Sean

DaytonaKit

*hurries to find out what her karma rating is*

Awww, I feel lurved  :P
"I didn't belong as a kid, and that always bothered me.  If only I'd known that one day my 'differentness' would be an asset, then my early life would have been much easier."
                                             - Bette Midler

Dichromus Benoir-Miles (aka DJ Dich)

Quote from: DaytonaKit on February 14, 2009, 05:32:48 AM
*hurries to find out what her karma rating is*

Awww, I feel lurved  :P

Hmmm. You must have a secret "applauder"    ;)   

Sean

Since this is a karaoke site, applaud sounds good for positive karma, but smite doesn't really fit that theme.  Any ideas anyone?  Also maybe a more karaoke/performance type or word/words instead of karma.  A term from the game Guitar Hero comes to mind - "Star Power" though I don't know.  Anyone have any ideas?

Horatio

Quote from: Sean Riedel on February 14, 2009, 07:22:52 AM
Since this is a karaoke site, applaud sounds good for positive karma, but smite doesn't really fit that theme.  Any ideas anyone?

In the interest of keeping the term performance-based, how about "Catcall"?

cat·call  (ktkôl) n. A harsh or shrill call or whistle expressing derision or disapproval.

And I guess if we want to keep them parallel (i.e., both nouns), the terms would be "Applause" and "Catcall". Thoughts?